March 21, 2010

Gee Bill, how come your mom lets you eat TWO weiners?

A not-so-brief summary of my trip to Indianapolis with my high school band that took place before the events of my last post:

Each year our band performs at a high school in Indianapolis for a panel of judges consisting of university music professors and such.  We then get critiqued for about an hour and then leave.  The real purpose of this trip is to have a trip, though, so there is a lot of shopping.  First we go to downtown Indianapolis and then to our hotel, where we usually don't sleep and take advantage of their pool/exercise equipment.  Then, in the morning, we get up, immediately go to the symposium and unload our equipment, play for approximately 5 people sitting in the audience, get critiqued, and leave for yet another mall that is incredibly overpriced.  This was my third year attending the symposium with the band, and this year was definitely the best of the three.  The first year was plagued by not knowing anyone and meandering about the various malls by myself, and the second year was better with the exception that I was placed in the room full of (too many) people that nobody liked.

However, this year was surprisingly awesome.  I only had to play two pieces ("The Dream of Oenghus" by Rolf Rudin and "The Gum-Suckers March" by Percy Aldridge Grainger), and managed to avoid playing during the critique for the third year in a row.  Which is excellent.  On the 4-ish hour trip there, we watched Season 2 of "The Big Bang Theory" and me and T-Rad watched "I Love You, Man" on my computer, which inspired us to nickname each other "Tycho Brohe" (which was in the film) and "Brohannes Kepler" (which was my own idea [so that one is me {and the other one is him (clearly)}]). At the first mall I bought a sweet hat and ate dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory with some sweet people.  I also got to try out one of those gigantic jawbreakers, which actually sucked and was not worth my fifty cents.  After that, I taught various folks in the band the amazingness and splendor of getting your head rubbed for long periods of time, which is the only sensation that is better than orgasm.  I even managed to make one girl fall asleep, which was more cute than creepy as I realize it sounds in a textual format.  I felt good about that.  The hotel part of the trip was not that great, but definitely better than the year before.  Usually I work out until we are forced to go back to our rooms, but since I have a stress fracture in my foot, I could only use the elliptical for about 20 minutes, and I'm too self-conscious about lifting weights to have done so.  Afterward, I went through a girl's /b/ folder which made me lol, and went back to the room for the rest of the night.  We tried to go on chat roulette, but the internet was too slow there to use it very well.  I can't even remember what we did until 2:00 am, but it must have been good, because we stayed up until 2:00 am doing it.  The next day after the symposium, we went to the highly overpriced mall, where I immediately went to a Border's nearby only to discover that they too were overpriced.  Shit.  So instead we meandered about the mall until we found a Brookstone, sat in the massage chairs for a really long time, and then went to the Cheesecake Factory, where I ate until I died.  The ride home was mostly head massages (this time I managed to fall asleep while getting one) and then dying because the air conditioning was not working and the bus was about 90 degrees. It was pretty fun.

That story was a cool friend.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you dissed on the whole head rub idea the first time... you owe me, darlin... you owe me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUCK NO. I never diss on the head rub. I just hate it in teh situations where I need to be awake, because that tends to work against what i need. 4 hour bus rides = WANT

    ReplyDelete